Saturday 27 June 2009


This little Coalie looks very bedraggled this morning but again I was in the right place at the right time, he just hates having is picture taken!!!!

The Bluetits are starting to perk up a bit as far as appearance goes and they will always stay for a mugshot, we seem to have more Bluetits than any other bird so far this year!!!

This sort of action gave me a huge fright last year when I though the poor birds were all dying, this was taken on one of the hotter days in the week, not a very good shot because Mr Blackbird was at the very bottom of the garden and I had the sun in the lens but you can just about see him having a sunbathe. hope he put the factor 30 on!!!!!

9 comments:

Midmarsh John said...

The Blackbirds do seem to lie with wide spread wings and beak open in the hot weather. You would expect them to find a shady spot to do it though.
Even a bedraggled Coal Tit cannot resist its daily ration of Sunflower seeds. Well captured.

swatson said...

brilliant photos my friend.Lovely coaltit(mine have disappeared)and love the blackbird,I really must try to find out the proper word for what he is doing to cool off
sheila

karen said...

Lovely pics again jayne. Particularly the coaltit, bless him! I was also very concerned when i saw the blackie doing that funny thing, and if it wasnt for this forum, id still be having a nervous breakdown each time i saw it!!!! Great pics x

Ken. said...

Hi Jayne.
Nice shot of the Blackbird taking in the suns rays. This is a thing that they often do, as do other birds.
Blackbirds and other Thrushes often sunbathe, laid down and with wings outstretched. The sun is thought to straighten the birds feathers and help the preen oil to spread through the feathers. Some ornithologists have suggested that it may also draw parasites to the surface where the bird can remove them or that the ultraviolet light in the sunlight converts chemicals in the preen oil into Vitamin D. However, one could be forgiven for thinking that they simply enjoy it.

Steve said...

Poor coal tit. My blue tits have disappeared since I saw those fledglings and I've had just one coal tit since then.

Anonymous said...

What a mess the coal tit is in , no wonder he dislikes a photo shoot.

Jayne said...

Thanks for your comments guys, both OH and myself are over the moon with our garden visitors and to think just a year ago I was grumbling because hardly anything came to visit!!!! LOL
Jayne

Unseen India Tours said...

Lovely and beautiful !! Amazing..Do check my another blog also i.e.Unseen Rajasthan

MattHB said...

I love the sunbathing! its adorable when they do it!

cant say theyve done it here for a little while now.. damn weather!